My husband would love for me to sew him a flat cap or Newsboy Cap. We have looked at lots of designs, patterns and existing caps, but he has very specific taste and an exact style he desires. This means it is not as straightforward to make as I’d first thought.
So I am now on a journey of trial and error until I find the perfect pattern, fit and style to suit his head and tastes.
I started by sewing him a men’s flat cap from Vogue Pattern 8869 but it wasn’t quite right.
Here I am now going to create a Newsboy Cap sewn together from scraps of old Denim following the Waffle Patterns via Craftsy. This was a free pattern to download and print using my home printer.
Cutting the Denim Fabric
This is a flat cap, made up of three pieces, very easy to sew and size.
I cut the brim across a leg seam from a pair of jeans. This provided a nice ‘stepped’ effect a third of the way round the brim, which I really liked.
Rather than cut one large piece ‘on the fold’ for the top of the cap, I cut two individual pieces from the legs of a child’s pair of jeans and sewed them together with a half inch seam.
One leg of these jeans was badly bleached, which spoilt the finished result, but as it was just a practice exercise I’m not too bothered.
Sewing on the Pattern Markings
I marked out the half inch seams from the pattern pieces, onto each fabric piece, by stitching them on. This was achieved using the sewing machine on a straight stitch set to the widest and longest settings 7 and 5 on my Janome DC3050.
I found this to be a quick and accurate way to mark out the seam widths on the fabric, rather than using chalk.
I chose a shimmering paisley print lining in dark burgandy with a purply shimmer effect. The trim is a scrap of metallic silver grosgrain ribbon.
The Finished Newsboy Cap
I was mostly pleased with the final result. The denim gives a nice weight to the cap, making it feel durable and long lasting. It was too small for both my husband and I, but a little too big for my 9 year old son. Sizing is definitely going to be trial and error.
I love the shimmer effect of the burgandy paisley print lining and I also thought it worked well with the silver grosgrain ribbon. The ribbon gave it a more feminine touch, which is fine for me, but not what I was originally aiming for. I really need to learn how to sew the ribbon on to give a professional finish as this currently looks homemade.